Joana Borges (Pinto)
Illustrator, Glasgow, UK & Lisboa, Portugal
Biomedical Scientist & Illustrator Children’s Books, Book Covers, Posters, Scientific/Biomedical Illustrations Love to dance too
Born (1983) and bred in Lisbon, Portugal, I came to Glasgow five years ago to do my PhD in Biomedical Sciences at GCU and I’m currently finishing my thesis (2016). As a child I was very creative and started drawing and painting very early. I was also very curious and wanted to know more about the living world. So I became a Biologist. During my academic studies in Biology I was frequently illustrating accurate representations of the real biological world, drawing plants, animals…, both in its macro and microscopic dimensions. There was always a drive to draw and paint in a more free and creative way, though. Even today, with my scientific background, I find myself in the need to feed my creative bug things there are purely from imagination, expressing my inner child. I have a real passion for giving books life and bringing stories from the mind to reality. I’m currently working on a children’s book, written and illustrated by me.
- Illustrator at Freelance
- August – Present Glasgow, UK
- PhD Biomedical Science (near completion) at GCU
- Oct 2011 – Present Glasgow, UK
- Biology degree at Faculdade de Ciencias, Universidade de Lisboa
- Lisboa, Portugal
- Techniques Mainly free-hand pencil drawing
- and watercolour. I also edit my hand drawings in Photoshop
- elaborating more complex compositions.